Thursday, March 14, 2013

The Gate River Run 2013...In the Books!

I promised all of you a race update last week, so here you go...

Last Saturday, March 9, I had the chance to put my body and a few months of race-focused training to the test at the Gate River Run, a 15K race held in Jacksonville, FL. With an eye on the prize, a (hopefully) prepared body, and a little anxiety, I crossed the starting line a little after 8:38am and was off to the races...well, the race anyway.

The Prize!
The first mile or two took us all through downtown and then over the St. Johns River for the first time via the Main Street Bridge. At this point, I would say that we were all feeling pretty fresh and really enjoying the sites, sounds, and company of our fellow runners. In fact, I ran about a quarter mile next to a friend I hadn't seen in a couple of years; and it was nice to get a boost when he told me that he hardly recognized me because I had lost so much weight!

For the next three or four miles, we had fun interacting with the spectators through some of Jacksonville's fun and rowdy neighborhoods...I mean, when's the last time you were offered sausage and beer during a road race? While I didn't see anybody take the beverage, I did see a few of my fellow runners chomping on pieces of sausage...and though I was tempted, I opted to stick with my gel blasts for my energy.

Right around mile 6, although I wasn't going to see it for a couple miles, visions of the Hart Bridge starting coming to mind, and I slowed my pace a little to conserve some energy. After leaving the expo a couple days earlier, I made the stupid decision to drive across the span, and it is, indeed, beastly...a mile long "Green Monster" that just seems to go up, up, and up forever.

I'm very proud to say that upon arrival at the Hart Bridge on ramp, although I had slowed, I hadn't broken my running stride, and by gosh I wasn't about to do so now! Although it was certainly a slow-and-steady effort, I kept running up, up, and up all the way to the top...the bridge training had paid off!!!

After reaching the bridge's apex, it's literally all downhill to the finish...the visions of the Jaguar's stadium (a.k.a. Everybank Field) and the cheering crowd at the Finish Line - although still close to a mile away - are welcoming and exciting, and it was at this point that I knew I was going to make it.

At the end of it all, I ran the 9.3 miles in 1 hour, 50 minutes, and 13 seconds; and even though I missed the high-end of my time goal by just 13 seconds, I felt absolutely terrific! The post-race Facebook post probably best sums up the feelings of the day...and I think the smiling guy in the picture certainly shows those feelings!

Gate River Run 2013 in the books!

Run went really well...haven't seen my "official" results yet, but at the end of it all, regardless of the time it took, I started running at the Starting Line and didn't stop running until I reached the Finish (9.3 miles later) ! Considering that a year ago, even after a couple months of dieting, I weighed about 55 pounds more than I weigh today; and considering that running wasn't even on my "to do" list yet last March, I think I can chalk today up as a huge accomplishment...and I'm looking forward to the next "Big" race!



Wearing the Prize!
Next week, I'm going to take a step back in time again and talk about the first few months on the pavement last Summer and Fall...as well as the importance of good running shoes!

Until then, enjoy your journey...

No comments:

Post a Comment