Thursday, April 11, 2013

Running Lesson #2: You Can Do More Than You Think!

As mentioned in a previous post, my first trips on the pavement were not that fun. I was still hovering in the 240s, I was feeling aches and pains I had never felt in the past, and I was breathing laboriously during every single step of every single run. So for motivation, I signed my daughter and myself up for the 5K at Disney World in January 2013.

And to be honest, I wasn't sure I would be ready. Yes, I had about four months to prepare and had even put together a 1.5 consecutive mile (but very painful) run...but my mind was filled with doubts. At the end of it all, though, my thinking was that at the very least, my daughter and I would certainly be able to walk ourselves to the finish line if Daddy wasn't quite in "race" condition.

My "runner" friends - who were giddy with excitement that I was running - were not only telling me that the 5K would "be a breeze" but also that I would certainly be ready for the 15K Gate River Run in March; and even though I nodded and smiled, I silently (and perhaps sheepishly) thought that they were out of their minds. They had absolutely no idea of how terrible my physical condition actually had become...and if they knew the truth, they would probably be less optimistic about my ability to run a 5K, let alone 9.3 miles. If they knew the truth, they might take my arm and cautiously guide me back to the safety of my sofa.

But a funny thing happened in late August. I downloaded a "Couch to 5K" app on my phone and decided to give it a shot...and although it was a nine-week program (that literally would tell me when to walk and when to run during every workout), I realized around week four or five that I would not only be ready for Disney but also for a race in the Fall; as such, I signed up for a 6K that was scheduled for Thanksgiving morning (November 22). I couldn't help thinking that my nutty runner friends might have been onto something!

And a few months later, their first formerly-outlandish prophesies came to fruition when I ran that 6K (without stopping) in just over 41 minutes...certainly not gazelle-like speed (11:00 per mile for approximately 3.8 miles), but I was able to start running at the Starting Line and not stop until I reached the Finish! The nine-week "Couch to 5K" program had worked...and, actually, by the time Thanksgiving rolled around, I had already started a 5K-to-10K program.

Happy Thanksgiving - Successfully Completed a 6K!
Although I was still, by definition, above the obese line in this picture - weighing in at about 226 pounds - I was able to run the race, which was well beyond what I had imagined when I had hit the pavement just a few months earlier.

Now, was it easy? Absolutely not. For me, it took disciplined adherence to the "Couch to 5K" program. It took moments of not wanting to take that next step but taking it anyway, in spite of my own thoughts. It took aches and pains, a lot of sweat, and the ability to fight and overcome the little voice telling me that I really didn't need to be in THAT good of shape, that I had gone far enough.

Perhaps there should be a few words added to this post's title...maybe it should end with "as long as you're willing to work hard and stay focused!"  And my advice to any people doubting themselves is don't sell yourselves short! Your bodies - with the help of your minds and your hard work - can do much more than you think. Much, much more than you think...


Until next time, enjoy your journey...

No comments:

Post a Comment