Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Marathon Training Week 4 Recap: Searching for an Oasis!

I'm really thirsty...not too much farther...is it?

Week Four of my marathon training ended with a Long Run (9 miles), and that distance, coupled with the heat and humidity of a Florida Summer, caused me to really start planning out my long runs from temperature, nutritional, and hydration standpoints.

For temperature, I have chosen to start my Long Runs in the dark (this nine miler began at around 5:30am); and even though the sun will rise before the run is done, my philosophy is that my body will be heating up as Florida heats up. In addition, a few people (like me) run their sprinklers before sunrise, so I can always grab a handful of water to splash on my forehead...or, if it's already hot, I can return to childhood and run right through them!

For nutrition, I typically eat a CLIF Bar about a half hour before I head out, so my initial energy is taken care of. Beyond that, at mile three, I start taking some energy supplements (my choice right now are the Power Bar Energy Gel Blasts) and continue to do so every few miles.

That brings me to water, the element I know my body gets rid of the fastest on my runs, thus making it the most important element to replace. But here's the challenge...after researching that a body needs four ounces of water every mile (approximately), coupled with knowing that my hydration belt carries 32 ounces of water (enough for eight miles...well, nine, because I drink enough before the run for the first couple of miles), I knew that I needed to scout out watering holes on my nine miler to prepare for the longer runs coming up.

Oh, the easy (and somewhat boring) thing to do is to plan my Long Runs around running back by my house every five to eight miles, refilling my water each time I stop by. To be honest, though, I really like going somewhere on my Long Runs. I like leaving the neighborhood and heading out on an adventure of sorts...so that's what I do. Thus, on last week's run - for which I knew I had enough water - I went out on a mission, a quest to search for places where I can replenish my stores.

There is something fundamentally primal about searching for water...although, to burst my own bubble, at worst, there are a couple of convenience stores and a McDonald's that could have ultimately served my purpose. But I decided to take a route with which I was somewhat but not fully familiar. I knew there was a sports (soccer/lacrosse) field about three miles from my house, but I wasn't sure whether it had any water fountains. After checking it out, I discovered that there was no water to be found...but, as a side note, it does have a portalet, which might come in handy someday.

But when running around the field, I noticed a paved path going through the woods to what looked to be more sports fields, which I never knew were even there (my daughter's a swimmer, so I know where the pools are). Coming out of the woods revealed to me a baseball complex with four fields and a center building...with public restrooms and water fountains!!! This oasis is about three miles from my house, and it will serve a definite purpose as my runs began to stretch out even farther. In fact, on Week 6's Long Run of 11 miles, I will be searching for yet another watering hole even farther away from home. I know there's a high school not too much farther up the road, so if I can get to its track and football field, I know I'll have found that next oasis!

Here's the training recap for last week, as well as this week's already-in-progress plan...

Marathon Training - Week Four (July 22 - July 28)
Monday - 5.18 Mile Run (10:35 Pace)
Tuesday - Stationary Bike (45 Mins, Hills, Level 7), Abs (4 Exercises, 3 x 12 Reps)
Wednesday - 4.13 Mile Run (10:09 Pace)
Thursday - Stationary Bike (45 Minutes, Hills, Level 7), 30-Minute Cybex Circuit
Friday - 9.2 Mile Run (Training Pace of 11:49)
Saturday - OFF
Sunday - Easy 2/2 Run/Walk Intervals (2.94 Miles)

 Total Miles on the Pavement - 23.48 Miles (Includes Warm Up and Cool Down Walks)

Total Marathon Training Miles - 81.09


Marathon Training - Week Five (July 29 - August 4)
Monday - 4.17 Mile Run (10:18 Pace) - COMPLETE
Tuesday - Stationary Bike (45 Mins, Hills, Level 7), Abs (4 Exercises, 3 x 12 Reps) - COMPLETE
Wednesday - 5.08 Mile Run (10:33 Pace) - COMPLETE
Thursday - Stationary Bike (45 Minutes, Hills, Level 7), 30-Minute Cybex Circuit
Friday - 4 Mile Run
Saturday - OFF
Sunday - Family Run

Have a great week, make sure you drink enough water, and until next time, enjoy your journey...


No comments:

Post a Comment