Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Marathon Training Week 7 Recap: Not Speedy...Speedier!

Following the long run at the end of Week Six, the focus of Week Seven was to just get back on my feet, recover, rebuild, and get prepared for the next long run (later this week).

But a funny thing happened during my first four-mile "recovery" run on Tuesday...I felt terrific! I started out with a nice easy pace of about 10:30-ish for the first half mile; but my lungs and legs were feeling strong, so I decided to reach down for a little extra...and I found it. When all was said and done, I finished the 4.13 mile run with a 9:38 pace, which happened to be my fastest pace for a four-plus mile run.

But that record was actually short-lived. On Saturday, I got back out there for four miles, and after a similar start of 10:30-ish for the first half mile, I found the extra gear again and ended up running 4.16 miles at a 9:35 pace!

So while I wouldn't define myself as a "speedy" runner (the Boston Marathon isn't reserving my qualified-for spot yet), it's nice to see that as I keep plugging along (and as I keep cross training), my ability to pick up the pace has definitely improved. Speedy? No...Speedier? Absolutely.

All that said, as I prepare for this week's long run, I need to pull back on the reins a little bit as I head out for tomorrow morning's four miler. While it's tempting to go out an see what I can achieve, I need to remind myself that this isn't a speed week...it's a long run week...and fresh legs willing to go thirteen miles will certainly be needed this Saturday morning!

Here's the recap from last week, as well as this week's schedule...


Marathon Training - Week Seven (August 12 - August 18)

Monday - Stationary Bike (45 Mins, Hills, Level 8), Abs (4 Exercises, 3 x 12 Reps)
Tuesday - 4.13 Mile Run (9:38 Pace)
Wednesday - Stationary Bike (45 Minutes, Hills, Level 8), 30-Minute Cybex Circuit
Thursday - 5.11 Mile Run (10:23 Pace)
Friday - OFF
Saturday - 4.16 Mile Run (9:35 Pace)
Sunday - 3.61 Mile Family Run

 Total Miles on the Pavement - 19.01 Miles (Includes Warm Up and Cool Down Walks)

Total Marathon Training Miles - 143.07


Marathon Training - Week Eight (August 19 - August 25)

Monday - Stationary Bike (45 Mins, Hills, Level 9), Abs (4 Exercises, 3 x 12 Reps) - COMPLETE
Tuesday - 5.14 Mile Run (10:50 Pace) - COMPLETE
Wednesday - Stationary Bike (45 Minutes, Hills, Level 9), 30-Minute Cybex Circuit - COMPLETE
Thursday - 4 Mile Run
Friday - OFF
Saturday - 13 Mile Run
Sunday - Family Run

I'm trying not to freak out too much about the thirteen miler this weekend - although freaking out is certainly tempting - so I'm just going to brush over it for now with the hopes that I'll be able to tell you all about it next week.

Until then, enjoy your journey...



No comments:

Post a Comment