Thursday, September 12, 2013

It's Not All About Me

A number of years ago, I was sitting in church, listening to the minister tell a story of his young child - around three years old at the time - who had recently gotten a T-Shirt that proudly proclaimed "It's All About Me!" across the chest. The minister went on to explain that when we're three years old, "It's All About Me!" is a pretty accurate proclamation. When we're hungry, someone gives us food; when we're tired, someone tucks us into bed; when we're messy, someone cleans us; and when we're hurt, someone is there to comfort us.

Walking out of church that day, I came to realize that during many moments of most days, I could pretty much wear that T-Shirt (in the proverbial sense) as that little three year old. And, since I'm being honest, I know I am still capable of falling into a mindset in which I see the world "according to Pete" and wonder why all of these people around me just aren't acting in accordance with the manner in which this world "should" operate.

In reality, I think we're all guilty of this from time to time (well, probably more often than that), but actually knowing and recognizing our own myopic vision is actually a sign that we are stepping away from these tendencies.

With my running, there is certainly a selfish aspect for me, and that feeling of self has certainly lifted its head a couple of times in the last two weeks as I've been overcoming my Achilles injury (progress is good, by the way...more about that next week). But there is also a very different side to my running, and it is this facet that has added dimension and enjoyment to my overall running experience. In short...

It's NOT all about me.

Four months from today, on January 12, 2014, I'll be running my first full marathon at Walt Disney World, and I certainly anticipate that this event will be one of those "Fence Post" moments in my life's journey.

But it's not all about me...right?

 As I indicate above, there is a undoubtedly a selfish element to embarking on this marathon journey, and I have personally benefitted by shedding over 100 pounds, by dropping my resting heart rate into the 50s, by overcoming nagging little injuries (like the one I've had over the last couple of weeks), by pushing myself to limits that I never would have imagined just a couple of years ago, and by achieving a positive sense of self I have never felt before.

 But it's not all about me....right?

Last September - right around this time, in fact - I watched in awe (from the confines of my office and computer screen) as my brother-in-law, Michael Corr, completed Ironman Wales in just a hair over 13 hours (not bad for 140.6 miles, Mike); but more compelling was that he raised an amazing amount of money for the Boomer Esiason Foundation for Cystic Fibrosis because both of his kids - my niece Anna and nephew Aidan - have been battling this disease their whole lives.

And it was on that day, watching Mike complete that Ironman, that I realized why I was back on the pavement after a twenty-five-plus year hiatus. I remember saying to my wife Michelle, "I need to do something like this...I don't know what exactly that is yet, but I really think I need to find the answer."

So after letting the journey run its course for a little while (pun intended), it turned out that the Disney Full Marathon was the answer; and it is through this event that I am raising money for Team Boomer and the Boomer Esiason Foundation...and I am raising this money not only for my own family but for anyone (and their loved ones) battling this disease.

Admittedly, I've spent far too many moments on this life journey of mine thinking only about the guy I see in the mirror...but this isn't one of those times.

So if you'd like to help out, the website link for donations is below. I would be personally grateful for any donation with which you can come up...as they say, no amount is too small. I would also be appreciative if you would please pass the link to the website along to anyone you think might be willing to help. Sure, you can tell people the story of how a formerly obese smoker is now getting ready for a marathon...but please also remind them that one of the things that keeps him going is that it's no longer all about him.

http://www.firstgiving.com/fundraiser/peteolson/2014waltdisneyworldmarathon

Oh, and by the way, over the marathon weekend, I will be joined by a handful of others who are proud to be supporting Team Boomer along with me, and I'll be running more detailed features on this team of finely tuned athletes in upcoming posts...

Brother-in-Law Mike - Running Goofy (1/2 Marathon Saturday, Full Marathon Sunday)
Sister Sandy - Running the 1/2 Marathon on Saturday
My Wife Michelle and Daughter Mary - Running the Family 5K with me
Our friend Roger (who has a niece with CF) - Running the Marathon
Roger's wife Mary - Running the 1/2 Marathon

We all thank you in advance for any help you can offer.


I'll be back to talking about me (oh gosh...it's all about me again) and my positive Achilles rehab next week.

Until then, enjoy your journey...






No comments:

Post a Comment