Monday, October 7, 2013

Back on Track...With a Few Changes

When I finished my easy run/walk yesterday evening, it marked the first week since August that I was able to stick fully to the week's marathon training schedule. Oh, it wasn't for a lack of trying (a.k.a. laziness) or an incredibly busy schedule (yes, I've been busy lately but certainly not too busy to run); rather, it was an Achilles injury that turned out to be far less debilitating because I shut the running down quickly rather than trying to muscle through the pain (which was my first inclination).

For some more background on the injury, you can check out these older posts:


The Story of Achilles

Slow & Steady Recovery



So for the first time in a month, I am very relieved to say that I'm back on schedule...although that schedule required a number of revisions following the injury. Since the primary reason for tweaking my Achilles seems to be that I was coupling long runs with tempo runs, I made the following changes to the training plan (well, with the help of Hal Higdon)...

  • Long Runs - Backed off on the distances. Although I was up to 13 miles before the injury, the past three weeks, my Saturday long runs have been 6, 7, and 5 (with Higdon, every third week is a "stepback" week). This Saturday, I'll be stepping back up to 9 miles and then up to 10 the following week. In addition, my old training schedule had me working all the way up to a 26-mile training run, but I've changed to the Higdon-recommended 20 miler (right after Christmas).

  • Race Pace Runs - Eliminated midweek race pace runs because for this marathon, I have adjusted my mindset to be of the "let's just run this 26.2 miles this time" variety. As such, all of my midweek runs will be at a comfortable pace...perhaps a little faster than my long run pace, but definitely slower than my capabilities.

  • Speed Work / Tempo Runs - Completely deleted all speed work and faster-paced tempo runs from this marathon training schedule. The goal of one's first marathon is to finish, so I need to put thoughts of speed off until future marathons. I have to keep reminding myself of this...over and over and over.

  • Calf Strengthening / Trigger Point Therapy - New to the marathon training schedule is daily calf strengthening exercises (Eccentric Heel Drops) and Trigger Point deep tissue massage therapy. Both of these have become something I do four times a day...no ifs, ands, or buts.

So things have certainly changed, but I can't tell you how relieved I am to be back to my marathon training. Yes, I'm certainly proceeding with caution so as not to reinjure myself...but the best news is that I'm proceeding. Here are last week's results (and, yes, I still have the overall number of weeks from the start in July), as well as this week's schedule...

Marathon Training - Week Fourteen (September 30 - October 6)

Monday - Stationary Bike (45 Mins, Hills, Level 10), Abs (4 Exercises, 3 x 12 Reps)
Tuesday - 3.05 Mile Run (10:49 Pace)
Wednesday - 4.08 Mile Run (11:06 Pace)
Thursday - 3.10 Mile Run (11:04 Pace)
Friday - 3.01 Mile Walk
Saturday - 5.09 Mile Run (11:24 Pace)
Sunday - 2.99 Run/Walk (2:00/2:00 Run/Walk Intervals)

Total Miles on the Pavement - 23.99 Miles (Includes Warm Up and Cool Down Walks)

Total Marathon Training Miles - 273.87

Days to Half Marathon (More About This Next Week) - 32

Day to Full Marathon - 96


Marathon Training - Week Fifteen (October 7 - October 13)

Monday - Stationary Bike (45 Mins, Hills, Level 9), Abs (4 Exercises, 3 x 12 Reps) - COMPLETE
Tuesday - 3 Mile Run
Wednesday - 4 Mile Run
Thursday - 3 Mile Run
Friday - OFF (Walk)
Saturday - 9 Mile Run
Sunday - Family Run


Now I just keep things slow and steady as I continue to progress. It's not about speed...it's about finishing. It's not about speed...it's about finishing. It's not about speed...it's about finishing.

I just need to keep reminding myself...it's not about speed...it's about finishing...


Until next time, enjoy your journey...


No comments:

Post a Comment