Sunday, January 5, 2014

2013 Recap: A Full Year on the Road

Having started back to running in July of 2012, it turned out that 2013 was my first full year on the road...and in retrospect, what a year it was...


Weight Loss - 52.3 Pounds

I started the year at a still-obese 231.9 pounds and finished at a "normal" 179.6 pounds, which was actually driven upward a few pounds with the few bigger meals and ever-present snacks over the holidays, as well as with the long marathon-training runs over November and December. While I still kept an eye on what I was eating, I didn't deprive my hungry legs much food after they propelled me on double-digit runs (ranging from 12 to 20 miles) every weekend for the last two months of the year.

So at the end of it all, I finished the year at a very healthy weight; that said, though, the weight that I like from a mental standpoint is 175 - and I finally reached that number in September and stayed there through October - so one of my goals for 2014 is to lose the five pounds to get back there...I'm just going to wait until after next weekend's marathon to worry about it.


Calories Burned on the Pavement - 146,100

So...what would I have weighed without running? Wow...


Miles Logged - 1,007.37

I'm shooting for 1,250 in 2014!


Injuries Sustained - 2

I tweaked my Achilles tendon on Labor Day Weekend, and it put me out of commission for a couple of weeks. It didn't completely take me off the pavement, but I had to do some very slow run/walking for that time period, as well as some calf strengthening exercises and deep tissue massage therapy.

I also aggravated my IT Band on an 18-mile long run about a month ago, but although amazingly painful during the run, I didn't lose any pavement time with this one. I just had to start foam rolling my quads on a regular basis.


Races - 10

5k - 4  (PR - April 27th...29:24 - 9:28 Pace)*
6k - 1 (PR - November 28th...35:12 - 9:23 Pace)**
5 Miles - 1 (PR - February 23rd...54:29 - 10:54 Pace)
10k - 1 (PR - March 29th...1:07:46 - 10:52 Pace)
15k - 1 (PR - March 9th...1:50:13 - 11:50 Pace)
10 Miles - 1 (PR - October 27th...1:49:16 - 10:55 Pace)
1/2 Marathon - 1 (PR - November 9th...2:33:23...11:42 Pace)

*I actually won my age group in the 5k on April 27th, but not even considering the prospect of such an achievement, I left the grounds before they passed out the prizes...but I can say with pride that I was an Age Group Winner in an event back in April. So I have that going for me...which is nice.

**The 6k on Thanksgiving was the only event/distance in which I couldn't have a PR in 2013, as I had run that race in 2012...every other distance was the first time I had run the distance. Well, I ran a few 5ks and a 10k or two in the 80s, and those are probably my official PRs...but I'm not competing against that Pete anymore.


Looking Ahead

For the last two months, from the moment I received my medal at Disney's Wine & Dine Half Marathon and said to myself, "now I have to double that mileage,"  my focus has been on getting my body ready for what I hope will mark the end of my couch to marathon journey. Hmmm...does that mean I need to change the blog's title? As I look ahead to this year, I already have a couple of races on the docket, as well as some plans for others. That said, though, I'm not putting together my training schedule(s) until I finish that 26.2 miler next Sunday...but let's talk more about that next time.

Until then, enjoy your journey...





No comments:

Post a Comment